Rowing and Sailing a Bolger June Bug

Here are some action photos of the June Bug I built being rowed and sailed the first few times. The patient photographer is my wife, Annie.   Click on any photo for a better look.

Here son Brendan and I prepare to launch the first time, into Muskegon Lake, here in Muskegon, Michigan.

Brendan helps to slide the boat down the roller ramp.

He looks doubtful at first, but at last confirms, “No leaks!”

Here I am, pleased as punch, rowing June Bug for the first time.  But, there is a little problem . . .

Note the little gap in the seat under my, um, er, my right buttock.  The ¼ inch plywood seat has cracked.

¼ inch plywood and “1 x 2” (nominal) framing is apparently not strong enough for an occupant of my girth.

A close look shows the epoxy glue joint between the plywood and framing held up fine.  The plywood itself has separated between 2 layers.

For the seats I initially used ¼ inch luan plywood from Home Depot, labeled “moisture resistant.”  This crack, while disappointing, is no great tragedy.  In half an hour or so I rebuilt the seat using ½ inch doug fir plywood and 1.5 x 1.5 inch (actual)  framing.  This seems plenty strong now.

And now, to go sailing.

 

Getting ready for first sail. Here I am lashing mast partner using lines passed through forward oarlocks.

Rigged and ready to go for first sail.

Boat dolly sure helps move June Bug.

In the water, ready.

Rowing out to water deep enough to hang rudder and leeboard.

Note how neatly the sail is rolled up.  You grab the clew and roll the sail forward, creating a neat bundle to tie easily to the mast.

She sails great.  Doesn’t feel “tippy.”

 

After a while, my arms got tired holding sheet.  Next project will be building “sheet hooks” to help take the load.

 

My wife Anne asked me what I think of June Bug after my first sail.

 

Click here to see pictures of June Bug’s construction.

Click here to go to my home page.

Click here to send comments to Michael Galvin.